Monday, August 3, 2009

Husband's family reunion

I'm now back from the annual family reunion with Husband's father's side. It was the usual: 4 days of drinking, eating, drinking, sleeping.

Husband's family's got a cottage on the shores of Lake Ontario, outside Buffalo. It used to be a temperance camp in a heavily wooded area, with about a dozen cottages, some nicer than others. This is the closest I get to camping. The cottage has indoor plumbing, but the walls aren't insulated and while I haven't seen any mice, I wouldn't be surprised if they were there.

So this year it was Uncle, Cousin One, Cousin Two, Husband, and Brother-in-law, all guys. Plus Cousin Two's girlfriend and me. Oh, and Girl Next Door and Cousin One's Friend, AKA Lounge Lizard. So that's 6 men, 3 women, all sharing one bathroom.

Husband, his cousins and his brother are about the same age, ranging from 41 to 37 years old. Girl Next Door is in her early 30s. She's a friend whose family owns the cottage next door and in the 30 or so summers when Husband's family has been going to the cottage, they've become good friends and she's like their little sister. We went to her wedding and I think she came to ours. I can't remember who all came to my wedding.

I shouldn't complain about the state of the cottage. That's the standard of living for many people all year round. I deal with it only 4 days a year.

It was really nice. There's a big porch that faces the lake and that's where people usually hang out. People have to walk past our cottage to get to the lake so we get to see everyone. A couple of other cottages are owned by Husband's extended family and they always stop by and chat.

We got in on Wednesday and had dinner in Buffalo at the Left Bank. Great food. then drove to the cottage.
Thursday we got up late, scrounged leftovers for brunch, then discussed what to do for dinner. Go down to the lake. Shop for dinner. Drink and talk. Play euchre (card game). Grill out dinner. Eat and Drink and talk. Go to neighbors' place for bonfire. Drink and talk. Go to bed late.
Friday: repeat of Thursday, except we went into Lockport for dinner at One Eye Jacks, then to a free summer concert: Queenscryche. Heavy metal. Husband's idea since he's a fan.
Saturday: repeat of Thursday without the bonfire, plus my famous sangria.
Sunday: get up, pack, everyone goes home. Brother-in-law to Wisconsin, Husband and I to Atlanta, everyone else to Buffalo.

Again, a great family reunion and I think I'll be okay not having any whiskey, scotch, or bourbon for a few weeks.

My sangria recipe:
1 can crushed pineapple in its own juice
2 bottles red wine
1 liter diet ginger ale
1 liter or half gallon bottle orange/pineapple/mango/peach juice
1 orange, sliced

Combine all in one pitcher, mix, serve over ice.

1 comment:

Saren Johnson said...

Will be trying your drink. Will let you know how it turns out.