Sunday, August 9, 2009

Goodbye John Hughes

As a child of the 1980s, the movies of John Hughes were a cultural touchstone. Or maybe so it seems now with the reflections about the passing of Mr. Hughes.

No, his movies really were a big part of the pop culture. It was impossible to miss Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson, and the rest of the Brat Pack. But it turns out that I only saw a few of his teen movies. I don't know that I want to see Breakfast Club or Ferris Bueller's Day off again. I kind of want to preserve those movies as they were in my memory. And I refuse to see Sixteen Candles because of offensive depiction of the Asian exchange student.

I have put Pretty in Pink at the top of my Netflix queue. Hughes may not have been good with race relations but he did address class issues in some of his movies and this was one. Plus it does have the love triangle thing going (which romance doesn't?) which I love. I don't know how PiP ends, who Ringwald's character chooses, so I'll be able to watch this movie fresh and try to assess it on it's own merits, without comparison to my teenage memories of it.

And lastly, here's a great post shared by someone who was a pen pal of his and gives a different perspective on his work. Very touching. Get the tissues ready.

No comments: