Sunday, August 19, 2007

Folk Fest, Korean Food, and Borat

It's been an artsy craftsy weekend.



Saturday Husband and I went to Folk Fest organized by Slotin Folk Art. We didn't buy anything, but were very tempted by several pieces.


We saw Robert Griffis, an artist whose paintings I have seen at art festivals for years and finally bought a small piece from him at the Decatur Arts Festival this summer. One of these years I'll get one of his big pieces.


We say Bart Webb, who made this fish that we bought from him at the Decatur Arts Festival too.
Okay, I had a nice long post about Folk Fest, and somehow only my first sentences made it to the post. Anyway, the exhibitors are listed on the Folk Fest website.

Folk Fest was held at the North Atlanta Trade Center, in Gwinnett County, the most diverse county in Georgia. So for dinner, we hopped onto Buford Highway to go to a Korean restaurant. I once saw a Korean restaurant called Baden Baden, which is the name of a city in Germany, so I wanted to see what that was all about.

But we couldn't find it, so we ended up stopping in one of the zillions of multicultural shopping centers on Buford Hwy that had a Korean restaurant. Can't remember what it was called, but I could probably find it again.

What's cool about Buford Hwy is that the shopping centers have signs in Spanish, Korean, Chinese, Amharic, and other languages. As we drove around, I looked for Korean, but it could have referred to nail salons, doctors offices, or restaurants, for all I know.

At the Korean restaurant, ______ Garden, all the signs were in Korean, our waitress didn't seem to speak English, and the other diners were Korean, Chinese, and white.

It was our first time going to a Korean restaurant. Usually I have Korean only when I go to visit Sister and Husband never goes to DC with me. I've been there at least a dozen times since Sister's lived in DC, but Husband never wants to go, even though he wants to go see the new Udvar-Hazee aeronautical exhibit.

So the dinner started with about 15 small bowls of different kinds of kimchee. The spicy pickled daikon radish and the spicy pickled eggplant were the best. I did not like the spicy pickled grape leaves. Too sour. Other dishes were unidentifiable, but still good.

Husband got the spicy pork, which came with spicy pickled napa cabbage, and I got bulgogi. Nummy nummy. It was a huge amount of food so we have leftovers for the rest of the weekend.

We ended our cultural day by watching Borat. I thought it was pretty good, and cringe inducing. Knowing that he's being sued by some of the people in it, I kept wondering how they managed to film it. Plus, having seen clips from the film at award shows, talk shows, etc, it seemed that I've already seen the movie before.


No comments: