Monday, February 11, 2008

Scarves (and a hat) for the new year

For Chinese New Year, I made these scarves for my staff.
I was inspired by the sideways garter-stitch scarf I made from gift yarn. It got me thinking about color combinations and so I raided my stash and made these.

This is two skeins of Berroco Foliage. Love those bright sherberty colors. The recipient has worn things in those colors, except maybe the pink.
This is one skein of Manos del Uruguay in Wildflowers, with a skein of navy Cascade 220 and one stripe of Manos del Uruguay in Pomegranate (orange) and a random stripe in pink.

This was made of Merino Style and Andean Silk from KnitPicks. Can't remember the details, but they were originally bought to swatch for Sister's BiColor Cables sweater, which I ended up making in Cascade 220 and then abandoned because the sleeves were gorilla-sized.

This is about 2 balls of Lion Brand Landscapes yarn (love it!). The recipient of this scarf just loved the scarf made from the gift yarn. So I thought, hey, this yarn has those colors, and hey, why don't I make her a scarf. And hey, if I make her a scarf, I'll have to make everyone in the office scarves. Good thing I have a pretty sizable stash and only a handful of people to knit for. On big needles.





We also have a volunteer, who I can't overlook, so I made her a beret. One strand of Cascade 220 and one strand of KnitPicks sock yarn in Smores colorway. Not generally a big fan of brown, but I loved working this combination. The Smores colorway is a combo of chocolate brown, caramel tan (or graham cracker tan), marshmellow white, and ash grey.

Last Tuesday, I left the office last and wouldn't be back for the rest of the week because I was going up to NYC for Chinese New Year. So I was able to leave these little gifties behind to surprise them the next day, when I was gone.

When I got back today, they were all quite appreciative. Happiness all around and a great way to start the new year.

No comments: