Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Madison, WI trip report -- Knitting Interlude

For the holidays, I got a gift certificate from Mother-in-Law for Lakeside Fibers.

The day after Xmas, MIL and Sister-in-Law (Husband's Brother's Wife) had a girls' day out, having lunch and shopping on State Street and finishing with a trip to Lakeside Fibers. Neither MIL nor SIL knit so I appreciated their patience.
I could easily spend at least an hour looking at everything, touching things. They have Manos del Uruguay in silk! I didn't know MdU came in silk. I was quite tempted by the silk, including a skein of lace weight silk in Chocolate Covered Cherry, over 1000 yards, in exactly the amount of the gift certificate.

In the end, I bought 3 skeins of Sheep Shop Yarns' Sheep Number Two (chunky weight, 90 yds) in color number EO43. On the Sheep Shop website, it looks more like color number G123. (Correction -- it's G043)

I wanted to knit it up right then and there. When I got back to Atlanta, I did play around with it last night and knitted up this little swatch on US 11 needles. Just a few rows of garter stitch in black, then 4 rows or so of stockingnette stitch of the Sheep Shop yarn, and then another few rows of garter stitch.

Here's the front. I really like the little dashes where the yarns change rows.

And here's the back: Both sides look pretty good.

Don't know what I'm going to do with it, but having swatched it, played with it, I can go back to knitting my current projects.

Giving into temptation isn't always bad!

No comments: