Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Need a vacation or a therapist

It's that time of year, where nearly everyone annoys the hell out of me. For some reason I can't understand, not everyone agrees with me and shares my world view.

The rational view is that everyone has their own ideas about things, which are formed by their personalities and life experiences, which are not the same as my own. Further, it is my responsibility to communicate myself to them clearly, consistentlym and persuasively so that they will change their actions, if not thinking, to align with what I need them to do.

This is how I really feel: WHY THE HELL DON'T YOU GET IT?!?!?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!?!

Thus, this is a sign that I need to go a way for a while and not think about work, the dying lawn due to drought, the need to make sure my actions align with my politics, or all the other things going on in my life.

I need to have a week away, just to play with my yarn and needles and hooks, throw some pottery, eat good food and drink good drinks, and read fascinating stories.

This is what I have coming up:
  • Starting tomorrow, three days at the US Social Forum, where 10,000 social activists will come together to develop a vision for a more socially just world. Actually looking forward to that, if I can avoid talking to or hearing people who don't think exactly like me (see discussion of crappy mood above). We may all be left leaning, but as we know in this country, there are different degrees, different focuses, and that's why the Republicans are kicking our asses, because we present no unified front. The US Social Forum is supposed to help us get that. for more info go to www.USSF2007.org
  • In-laws coming on Monday for Independence Day. That would be Husband's mother, father, brother, paternal uncle, one of his two paternal cousins. So, we have to clean the house, after spending all day and evening at the US Social Forum. And Husband's idea of clean is more stringent than my own definition, so there will be things like furniture polishing, cat hair removal, and hiding things under beds.
  • Last time I saw the paternal cousin, I blew up at him because he and his friends said some homophobic things. His friend also used the n-word. Eventually I couldn't stand it and did a lot of yelling, crying, and stomping around, which made everyone uncomfortable. And heaven knows, making people uncomfortable is worse than calling them on their shit. Certainly, I could have done it better, but the next day, paternal uncle did tell me that what I said needed to be said. So cousin and I made up the next day, but this'll be the first time I will see him since then. And they'll be staying at our house.

What I'm looking forward to:

  • knitting time during the US Social Forum and while the in-laws are here
  • meeting other like-minded people at the US Social Forum
  • dinner at Rathbun's next Monday with in-laws and my brother who lives in Atlanta
  • signing up for pottery classes
  • going to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix later in the month, really looking forward to the scenes in the Ministry of Magic
  • and of course, the last Harry Potter book in 24 days!

I have no predictions, but hope that Harry and Voldemort both die but a new evil rises up again. Afterall, the battle between good and evil is never ending. I hope that Neville turns out to be the one who does great things, that Harry and Ginny get back together before Harry gets killed, that Hermione and Ron finally hook up, and that Draco lives, but survives broken and beaten. You know, like in life, not all the bad guys die or even get their just punishment.

As for Snape, I just don't know. I hope he turns out to be good, but still with all his shades of grey. I don't want him to do the whole self-sacrifice thing to redeem himself. That's just too convenient and not in keeping with his complicated role. I want him to acquit himself well and retain his sneer and dislike of Harry until the end. After all, not all our allies have to be our best friends. You can still hate each other and work towards a common goal.

Now if the liberals and Democrats could understand that.

2 comments:

Saren Johnson said...

Sounds like you're going to be very busy. Enjoy your meeting. Smile at the cousins and most of all KNIT!

Stacey said...

Harry CAN'T die!!! I want a happy ending. I can't help it. I'll be so very sad if he dies.

I hope you get a chance to relax a bit and enjoy yourself.