Sunday, June 26, 2011

Thinking about love and marriage

So New York State has finally legalized gay marriage. Finally people who love each other can get married and have that union be recognized and protected.

Made me think of the Supreme Court decision of Loving v. Virginia, decided on June 12, 1967, that made interracial marriage legal. This was decided before my husband and I were even born and thus by the time we got married, it was not a legal or social struggle.

I also woke up to the news on Saturday that a friend's husband, dealing with cancer, passed away. As a wife who really, really loves her husband, it broke my heart to think of my friend without hers.

And so happy that I got to spend all of Saturday with Husband. I tell him everyday that I love him, that I think he's the best part of my life, of how much I appreciate what he does for us. As I think about my newly-widowed friend, it breaks my heart all over again.

No comments: