Friday, December 19, 2008

Gone too soon

On Dec 17, 2008, a friend of mine suddenly passed away from a heart attack. She was 33 years old.

She had a lifetime of health issues -- lupus and fibromyalgia -- but I didn't think these were things that could cause heart attacks and take someone so young.

Like many friendships in adulthood, this one was formed in the workplace. When she took a different job in town, I didn't see as often. Eventually she had to stop working because of her health.

My main emotions right now are shock, sadness and regret. Regret that I let this friendship lapse because of time and distance (her house is in a far suburb), regret that I didn't make it to her housewarming party those years ago.

There are a few pictures of her in the office, from when she used to work here, and I've made copies to take to the wake tonight.

Tonight she will celebrate her life and I will see her husband, who I think I last saw at my wedding. This weekend, I'll go through the wedding photos (still unorganized after 9 years) and look for copies to make for him.

When I found out about her passing, I called Husband to tell him and to tell him not to die.

No comments: