Friday, April 18, 2008

A day off

Took the day off today. Felt good.

I had a dr appt at 8:30am and then a noon meeting for an organization where I serve as a board member.

By 9am, my appt was done, but the mall doesn't open until 10am. I'm on the look out for a work appropriate purse that's big enough to hold the usual purse stuff, the baby blanket I'm knitting, and a pad of 8.5" x 11" paper; that will be strong enough to hold all that (a vinyl purse I have gets stretched all out of shape); not be too heavy or loaded down with superfluous zippers and pockets as is trendy; and is not too expensive.

Or I could skip the mall and go to a fiber and yarn shop near by that I've never been to. I printed out a list of Atlanta area yarn shops with location, hours, and phone number, just for these occasions.

Or, I could get a bagel and lox, and leisurely knit and read entire articles in the New Yorker magazine and take my eye off the clock -- okay, cellphone. The articles about vengence as a fundamental human emotion and about elevators were pretty good.

So that's what I did. And what a pleasure it was to read what I wanted, at a pace I wanted, while knitting, and in solitude. Bliss.

I did run to DSW Shoe store real quick, where I saw a few purses I liked, but not the price tags. Then it was time to go to my meeting.

It was a good meeting and again with no time pressure, I was able to stay after and talk with a few other board members and get to know them better.

Husband is out of town, on a guy's weekend trip, so I actually have to cook for myself. Ran to the grocery store and this is what I had for dinner:
  • Baguette
  • Garlicy hummus plate with cucumber, tomato, cilantro, sweet onion, and monterrey jack cheese
  • slice of chocolate cake
  • Merlot
It was quick and easy to cut up the baguette and vegetables, carry all that out to the patio and mix and match flavors from the hummus plate, while enjoying the warm spring weather, the hummingbirds, the last of the daffodils, and the latest edition of Entertainment Weekly.

Not sure if I'll do the dishes tonight. It's only me and the cat and he won't be licking the oniony cutting board anytime soon.

I'm thinking of totally abandoning my usual routine and continue the silence and solitude by not watching TV tonight.

But who am I kidding? There are Law and Order, CSI, NCIS, and other police procedural dramas on and I am helpless to resist.

No comments: