Saturday, November 17, 2007

Refugee Music Videos

This week I saw these two videos back to back: "Sweetest Girl" by Wyclef Jean, Akon, Lil' Wayne, and Niia; and "I'm Like A Lawyer With The Way I'm Always Trying To Get You Off (Me & You)" by Fall Out Boy.

There are several things remarkable about this. First, that MTV and VH1 still play music videos, but only in the mornings before work. Some people watch the morning news, I watch the morning music videos on MTV and VH1 or the Alex Andersson quilting show on HGTV.

Anyway, both of these videos involve refugees, which I think doesn't get as much attention as it deserves.

"Sweetest Girl" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PxBGHjABnU&feature=user) is set in a immigration deportation camp. Wyclef Jean used to be in a band call the Fugees, short for Haitian refugees, with Lauren Hill. So he (presumably) knows something about refugees.

The Fall Out Boy video for "Me and You" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT434G38OBg) I think is more remarkable because it tells the story of children in Northern Uganda who have been abducted and turned into child soldiers. They also provide a link to www.invisiblechildren.com.

The video is great and it makes the title of the song "I'm Like A Lawyer With The Way I'm Always Trying To Get You Off (Me & You)" even weirder.

No comments: