Saturday, September 11, 2010

City Quilts



So I went to Dragon*Con and was very intrigued by steam punk and alternate history. Specifically the session on race and gender in steampunk. The Victorian or Edwardian age was when women in the US got the vote so it was more progressive than we generally think of it. On of the speakers was Ay-Leen the Peacemaker, an Asian American steampunker who also lives here in Georgia. She talked about how there's a really long history of Asians in the US. Afterall, the Chinese worked on the railroads.

That made me think of the miniseries "Into the West" that explored the US expansion westward, focusing on a white family and a Native American family. I've seen bits and pieces of it and I know that one character, played by Christian Kane, works on the railroad and becomes friends with a Chinese worker. So I bought on Amazon and to tie it back to steampunk, I bought "Boneshaker" a book that was widely recommended as a good steampunk book.

While on Amazon, I cruised the quilting books and came across City Quilts by Cherri House. After looking inside (love that Amazon feature), I bought it too.

Husband loved the cover quilt, City Lights, and asked me to make it. He very rarely asks me to make anything for him so I bought the yarn on line right away, worsted wool from Webs. But I wanted to start right away. So I also bought some Galway yarn from a local store and got a bit done. I'm holding the yarn doubled and using a size 10 US 6mm needle.

So I have the crochet Babette blanket going, a knit shawl project going, and now Husband's knit City Lights blanket. I'm happy.


3 comments:

chq said...

Hello! My Cherri House, the author of City Quilts. I love that you are recreating City Lights with knitting. I would love to see a photo when this is finished.

Take care,

Cherri

Ay-leen the Peacemaker said...

Hello Red!

Thanks for stopping by the panel and for looking into Beyond Victoriana. Just wanted to mention that I'm actually from NYC, but my trip down to Atlanta had been quite enjoyable and I was glad to be able to present with some wonderful people.

Hope that I'll be able to do more for next year's convention!

Saren Johnson said...

How fun. Can't wait to see what you turn out.